A couple of weeks ago I bought my Grandmother this hanging pot of purple and hot pink Calibrachoas. These tiny petunia like blooms really do well in the ground or draping over the side of containers. She loves the way they complement her red metal birdhouse on the double shepherds hook. Hopefully these will continue to do well right up till our first heavy frost in November. Last summer I planted the Proven Winner’s variety ‘Saffron’ and it was a prolific bloomer. Now I need to add these great annuals to my must add list next summer. Here’s a list of some other annuals that I love:
- Vinca – they come in a variety of pink tones as well as red and white, they do great in sun or shade
- Angelina – shade of purple as well as white, they look great in the ground or containers
- Zinnias – they come in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes and attract butterflies
- Cosmos – from pink to orange, the palette is amazing. Great filler plant in the garden.
- Sweet Alyssum – white is my favorite but they do come in purple as well. Good container filler plant.
All of these other than the Angelina I have found to be very easy to grow from seed. Just direct sow the seed in the spring after your last frost date and water. Angelina is easy to find in nurseries and big box stores around here so I just pick up a few every May to add spots of color to the perennial beds. What are some of your favorite annuals?